On May 30–31st, 2011, around 30 experts — both from academia and EU practice — met at the Swedish Institute of International Affairs in Stockholm to discuss “The EU´s Foreign Policy – how to forward internal unity and external strength? Views from Germany, Poland, Nordic and Baltic countries”. The seminar, which was organized by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), the Swedish Institute of International Affairs (UI/SIIA) and the Institut für Europäische Politik (IEP) and funded by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Sweden and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Germany focused particularly on the following aspects:
- The impact of the Lisbon treaty and in particular the European External Action Service (EEAS) and the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy (HR)
- Sub-regional cooperation among the 27 as a way to promote an increased role for the EU as a global actor
- Dilemmas and strategic choices in policies towards eastern Europe: European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) and Eastern Partnership,
- Challenges for the EU as a foreign policy actor: the Mediterranean and the Middle East regions.
Speech of Walther Stuetzle
More background information regarding the conference topic:
- Andersson, Jan Joel et al: “The European security strategy- reinvigorate, revise or reinvent?”, Swedish Institute of International Affairs, Occasional papers 7, 2011.
- Bendiek, Annegret/Kramer, Heinz: “The EU as ‘strategic’ international actor — Substantial and analytical ambiguities”, in: European Foreign Affairs Review, 15 (November 2010) 4, pp. 452–474.
- Böttger, Katrin/Falkenhain, Mariella: “The EU’s policy towards Azerbaijan- what role for civil society?”, SPES Policy Paper, Berlin: Institut für Europäische Politik, June 2011.
- Jokela, Juha: “The G‑20- a pathway to effective multilateralism?”, Chaillot papers 125, European Union Institute for Security Studies, April 2011.
- Major, Claudia/Mölling, Christian: “EU Battlegroups- What Contribution to European Defence? Progress and Prospects of European Rapid Response Forces”. SWP Research Paper 2011/RP 08, Juni 2011.
- Major, Claudia: “A Civil-Military Headquarters for the EU – The Weimar Triangle Initiative Fuels the Current Debate”, SWP Comments 31, December 2010.
- Nickel, Dietmar: “Der Europäische auswärtige Dienst”.
- Raik, Kristi: “Between conditionality and engagement- revisiting the EU’s democracy promotion in the eastern neighbourhood”, FIIA briefing paper 80, Finnish Institute of International Affairs, April 2011.
- Wojna, Beata: “EU and its southern neighbours- new challenges for the European Neighbourhood Policy”, Polish Institute of International Affairs, May 2011.